Pages


... Welcome to the " Culture literacy course " blog ...
The idea of this blog was intiated by Dr.Taiba Sadiq for the "Cultural litracy " course given in the college of basic education (Kuwait) , through this blog students of this course will be able to discuss different topics related to culture , comment , argue and share their ideas .
this blog started on October 2009.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Cultural imperialism (Muneera)

Cultural imperialism : is the practice of promoting, distinguishing, separating, or artificially injecting the culture of one society into another. It is usually the case that the former belongs to a large, economically or militarily powerful nation and the latter belongs to a smaller, less important one. Cultural imperialism can take the form of an active, formal policy or a general attitude. A metaphor of colonialism is employed: the cultural products of the first world "invade" the third-world and "conquer" local culture. In the stronger variants of the term, world domination (in a cultural sense) is the explicit goal of the nation-states or corporations that export the culture. The term is usually used in a pejorative sense, usually in conjunction with a call to reject foreign influence.

Click here to read more ..

3 comments:

  1. I think that there must be times when the society with less power is not even aware of such a process taking place, do not get me wrong!! I will always love looking up different cultural aspects of other societies, I am not close minded, but there are times when I feel that one culture seems to suffocate the original culture in such a situation as the one discussed in the above post, it saddens me to see people feel ashamed of their heritage and culture, but as I said earlier this could happen on a subconscious level. In the future I will post a comment with examples to support my view. Thank you Muneera for this thought provoking post and thanks for the help you gave me in posting my comments, you are the best!!! I am delighted that I am the first to comment !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nabaa.s
    Culture imperialism is very old phenomenon.For centuries,countries imposed their culural values on other nations.Today as global economic and political power the united state is invitably intruding into the culures of other countries of the world.Some beleive that the American‘s spread of culture is beneficial to the entire planet,while other consider this cultural imperialism a"threat".

    ReplyDelete